Thursday, 15 November 2012

Photo experiments: picture transfers on wood

I have looked at a number of different sites that explain how to transfer images on to blocks of wood. It took me a long time, but I finally managed to get one right.

Here I bought a small wooden plaque at Michael's, it cost me $1.29. First I painted the edges of the wood in black. I tried this project with a real picture as well as a printed picture. The real one didn't do much good at all but the printed one came out nicely. I put a coat of Gel Medium on to the printout (NOT on to the wood, but the actual piece of paper). Then put it face down on the block of wood, smoothed it out to get rid of bubbles, and let it dry overnight. 

I came back to the project the next morning and started rubbing the paper off. I wet it real good, and just went at 'er. I think it turned out well, but the picture I chose was a bit dark. That, combined with the dark wood frame, made for - well - a dark picture. But still, I liked the way it turned out.

I also screwed in a couple of hooks at the top and finished it off with a bow. 

I love the look of the photo transfer. Next time I will chose lighter and hope for the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment