Wednesday 13 July 2016

Yarn review: Patons Kroy Socks

My socks are done and I love them because they are so beautiful! And even more exciting: I get to write a review about Paton's Kroy Socks.

The yarn details are as follows:
Weight: 1-Super Fine | Ball Weight: 1.75 oz. / 50 g | Ball Length: 166 yard / 152 m | Content: 75% Wool, 25% Nylon

The pattern I chose was Hermione's Everyday Socks, which you can find here on Ravelry, in the colour "Brown Rose Marl." You can follow my slow, sock-making progress here, here and here.

I have used this yarn in the past, to make fingerless gloves. I decided to make socks because I wanted to see how the stripes turned out. I purposely started the socks at a matching colour point, but they didn't turn out exactly identical in their stripes, which was perfect! I loved how they stripes came out - similar but not exactly the same. I made both socks at the same time on one small, teenie-tiny, circular needle (size US 1 - 2.25 mm). I split the socks when it came time to shape the heel, and finished them separately.

The yarn is lovely to work with: soft and smooth and very, very strong! I remark on its strength because I tugged a lot at the beginning of each round, so there were no spaces in between the stitches. The yarn didn't break once. There were no breakages in yarn in either of the balls, and it came out nice and smooth the whole time, with no catches or fuzzy bits. I am not used to making socks at all, they take so long and I usually give up. One of the reasons these took me so long was because I kept stopping and looking at the self-striping pattern and ooh-ing and aah-ing over the yarn. The colour way really complimented the stitch pattern that's carried all the way up the leg and over the instep. It wears nicely too: a little bit of stretch and oh so soft. I may never wear these socks out, they're just so lovely to look at.

The link to purchase your own balls of Paton's Kroy Socks yarn from Yarn Canada is here.

And now for many, many pictures of my beautiful socks:









I loved making these socks, and I am NOT a sock-making person! They take me too long to knit up but I just loved the way these turned out. I have already cast on with the second colour I chose, Turquoise Jacquard, and will post about that project soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment